Ortovox S1+ Transceiver
The Ortovox S1 is a sensor controlled avalanche receiver whose three antennas allow multiple burial detection. The S1+ combines two pillars of avalanche detection technology, the display of the location of buried victims relative to the transceiver unit, and the Smart Antenna Technology, to deliver an effective and reliable device.
The flip phone design of the transceiver makes it light, compact and easy to carry at all times. The harness that comes with the transceiver is even handily labelled so there’s no difficulty when strapping it on.
NOTE: Avalanche transceivers are essential items of equipment for anyone going off-piste but useless unless the carrier also has a probe and shovel to dig the victim out.
The basic functions of the sensor are easy to grasp and use:
- when the transceiver is shut it is in transmit mode; to turn it on to search mode, simply flip it open.
- After 90 seconds of inactivity, it will automatically switch back to transmit mode (though this can be changed to happen after 30, 60 or 120 seconds) which is an important safety feature in the instance of a follow up avalanche.
- This Ortovox+ S1 transceiver screen display shows all the buried victims in the area on a map, with the distance to each victim shown.
- When locating a victim, they will be shown on screen as a man, which you can then line yourself up with and walk towards. Other buried victims will then be shown passing on either side of you as you walk towards the primary victim.
- Up to three victims can be displayed on the screen at one time.
- When you are three metres away, the display changes to that of a circle containing the distance to the victim in the middle, with arrows warning you if you go in the wrong direction or away from the body.
- Additionally, this transceiver emits an audible tone to alert you to the proximity of the body, which changes in tone when you are close to the victim.
This transceiver has the added feature of being able to suppress the buried victim’s transceiver signal once you have pinned their location, allowing you to move on to the next victim.
It also features a compass and inclinometer.
The S1’s infrared interface allows the transceiver to be automatically updated when updates become available, meaning that you will always have the most up-to-date technology.
If skiers are caught out by an avalanche, their companions in the vicinity have their work cut out. They have to locate the victims and dig them out as quickly as possible. If the searchers are carrying an avalanche transceiver, it can drastically reduce the time it takes to find the buried victims, thus maximising the chances of a successful rescue.
The Ortovox S1+ can be brought in a package which includes a Ortovox PRO ALU III + Pocket Spike & Ortovox Carbon 240 PFA Probe, This can be purchased HERE.
Being found Easier
S1+ Smart Antenna Technology
You will be more easily found with the S1+ Transceiver. The Integrated Smart-Antenna-technology analyzes the position of the antennas in the avalanche. The transceiver automatically switches to the best transmission antenna. You will gain almost double the range even in the worst coupling positions, regardless of the beacon used for searching.
S1+ Secondary Avalanche Switchover
The S1+ Transceiver now comes with a motion sensor, enabling Secondary Avalanche switchover. If the sensor has not detected any motion for 120 seconds during the search, it automatically switches back to transmit mode. Thus rescuers can also be found if there is a follow up avalanche.
S1+ Recco Reflector
The S1+ is equipped with a RECCO Reflector. Recco helps professional rescuers find victims buried in the snow even faster. The Backup technology is used by more than 700 ski areas and rescue teams around the world. You have more possibility of being found with this feature.
S1+ Intuitive Design
This transceiver is made to be as simple to use as possible. The S1+ need only to be flipped open in order to enter the location mode. Neither keys nor buttons need to be pressed – a simple snap open is enough and the digital device scans the avalanche cone automatically.
S1+ Visual & Acoustic Searching
With the S1+ you have the entire avalanche situation in view. The relative positions of all buried victims are shown. The lit display is reassuring and enables several rescuers to work together in a big search action. The patented circle diagram combined with arrows and distance indication helps with the fine search. The Intuitive Search Acoustics provide additional support throughout the entire rescue.
S1+ Flagging Function
The number of people buried is shown in a list on the display of the S1+ screen. As soon as you have found the first one, you can quickly and reliably block out the signal with the flagging button. The buried person is then shown as being flagged and you can continue searching for the others.