ABS Vario 8L Zip-on Backpack
The ABS Vario 8L is the perfect zip-on for short backcountry trips. Shovel and probe can be stored in this zip-on backpack.
Intended for absolute essentials, the 8L zip on is a lightweight, practical way to make sure you have everything you need with you so you are prepared whilst skiing off piste.
The Vario 8L has a stable diagonal ski mount and fasteners for snowboards and snowshoes.
The helmet can be carried in a removable helmet net.
Drinking water systems can be integrated and keys, money and a mobile phone can be carried in a special valuables compartment.
PLEASE NOTE: These zip-ons will fit older ABS Vario Base Unit versions
Please note: this product is the Vario 8L Backpack Only. You will need to purchase the Vario Base Unit and canister if you do not already have one.
Pack Volume: 8 Litres
Pack weight: 200g
Colours: Ocean/Blue - Black/Orange - Silver/Orange
The 10 ABS Survival Principles
- Out of 262 people with an inflated ABS avalanche airbag, 97% have survived, 84% of them without injury.
- The original self-rescue system, produced and tested by German avalanche experts since 1985.
- If one airbag gets damaged during the descent, the other will remain inflated for a sufficient length of time. ABS therefore uses two airbags instead of one to ensure additional protection.
- Pyrotechnical-pneumatic activation for maximum reliability, instead of vulnerable Bowden pull solutions.
- An unrestricted view and unlimited freedom of movement enable escape from the avalanche.
- In the event of an avalanche, the airbags at the sides of the wearer's body create a wide contact surface. This horizontal position helps to prevent the victim being trapped in the run-out zone.
- The ABS TwinBags do not turn your body into the dangerous and helpless "bug" position.
- In 97% of all recorded avalanche accidents with an inflated airbag, the TwinBags were visible on the surface after the avalanche.
- The ABS TwinBags can be repacked easily, quickly and safely and are ready for use within no more than a few minutes.
- Personal practice activation at home, on the mountain slope or at your ABS retailer is essential.