Ortovox Freerider 22 Avabag Backpack (Avabag Unit Included)
Ortovox Freerider 22 Avabag (Avabag Included)
The redevelopment of the SPS Flex back protector is the main focus of the Ortovox Freerider 22 Avabag, This offers the highest level of comfort and protection whilst out in the mountains. Ortovox have completely redesigned the Freeriders inside and airbag system in order to produce 22 litres of fully-utilizable volume around the AVABAG unit.
Avabag Airbag Unit - 1.8 Liters, and weighing only 690g, the AVABAG is the smallest airbag system worldwide.
Ideal For :
The Ortovox Freerider 22 avabag is ideal for Freeriding Off Piste Skiers or Boarders looking for something lightweight but hard-wearing that will carry all the necessary gear whilst ensuring total freedom of movement.
With a neoprene wide hip belt, the Ortovox freerider 22 avabag is a close fitting and unobtrusive pack which hugs the body, ideal for fast sports.
This backpack is built to incorporate a TÜV certified SPS back protector system to reduce extra bulk and keep the wearer protected, whatever speed they are travelling at. This system comprises of five superimposed layers of foam which harden on impact to absorb the force of a fall or collision.
Ortovox AVABAG Activation :
When wearing your Ortovox Freerider 22 avabag system you must make sure that all of your straps are securely fastened and the Activation handle is adjusted to the correct height.
1. Correctly Installing the Avabag system : Ensure that the AVABAG system has been installed correctly. The activation cable with silver ball must be able to pass through the feed channel with no restrictions and the AVABAG balloon must be correctly folded.
2. Correctly Mounting the Activation Handle : The Silver ball on the activation cable must be easily visible in one of the two settings, so L or S. The position slider must be firmly attached to the activation handle. The Guide bar on the activation handle must be inserted into the feed channel for appropriate setting.
Short Grip Length (S)
Long Grip Length (L)
3. Checking the Activation Mechanism : Insert the unthreaded side (smooth surface) of the AVABAG re-arming tool without force into the cartridge bushing if you can insert the re-arming tool right up to the stop. The AVABAG system is armed and ready to activate. if the re-arming tool cannot be completely inserted, you must re-arm the system.
4. Correctly Attaching the Avabag Cartridge : Screw the AVABAG cartridge into the cartridge bushing right up to the stop so that the sealing ring can no longer be seen on the AVABAG cartridge, Fasten the backpack orange cartridge clip to keep in place.
5. How To Wear The Backpack Correctly : Fasten the leg safety. to do this, thread the hip strap through the coloured loop on the leg safety strap. Fasten both buckles on the hip and chest straps one after the other and ensure that they are properly locked into place.
6. Activating The AVABAG Avalanche Unit : In the case of an avalanche, pull abruptly and as firmly as possible on the activation handle to activate the avabag avalanche airbag and inflate the avabag balloon!
Please see video of Inflation and Deflation on the right hand side.
Ortovox Avabag Unit :
Thanks to the innovative processing system which requires no sewing or additional sealing, and a drastically reduced venturi unit, the Ortovox Avabag is one of the lightest airbag systems in the world. Weighing only 690g, the system combines incredible lightweight stripped down design with the highest levels of reliability.
The AVABAG unit can be simply and quickly replaced or upgraded, and is compatible with all ORTOVOX AVABAG backpacks.
To determine your back length, use a tape measure to measure yourself from the top of your hip bone to the very top of your back just before the neck. Use the size guide image in the image gallery to calculate your size.
Safety compartment : Access to the compartment is marked with the red zipper pullers. Probe and shaft receiver are marked with icons. Place the shovel blade with the sharp edge up.
Chest strap with signal whistle : Quickly draw attention in emergency situations.
Water-resistant zipper : Repelling moisture for secure and dry contents.
Hydration system compatible : Push drink bladder into the slot on the carry system interior and secure with strap and flat-front buckle. Lead the tube through the outlet by the right shoulder strap and fix it with the rubber band.
Bright inside : Light Colours inside make it easier to find your avalanche safety equipment.
SPS Flex Back Protector : TUV-Certified protector made from visco-elastic foam that adapts to the body and remains flexible even in the cold
Ice Axe Attachment : Place the pick of the axe into the icon compartment and fix it by closing the straps. Then attach the shaft by using the elastic cords, hidden in the two small compartments near the foremost zipper.
D-Skifix : A fast and safe diagonal ski fastener that offers plenty of wear comfort.
Snowboard and Snowshoe attachment : Connect the lower straps with the metal nose and the small lop above the icon compartment. The upper part can be found in the compartment above the left shoulder strap. Disconnect the metal half moon hook and feed it through the loop by the right shoulder strap. Fit the board / Snowshoes and close the buckle.
Access to main compartment (Front) : Quick access to emergency equipment / Accessories through the Front.
Illustration of Alpine Emergency Signals : Print (inside) shows you signals for emergencies.
Wide Hip Belt : Wide and elasticated, for an optimal body-hugging fit, even when in motion.
Helmet Net : Fixed in a zipped compartment, optimized fastening.
Separate Safety Compartment : Quick access to emergency equipment.
Material : Nylon D ballshadow.
Release Grip : Height adjustable.
Locking Clasp : Provides the highest possible safety and ease of use.
Safety Leg Strap : for the highest possible safety in the event of an avalanche.
Emergency Card : Quick access to emergency details if stuck in a avalanche situations.
What are the major differences between the Ortovox Freerider and the Ortovox Ascent?
The Ascent is available in 22 Litre and 30 Litre sizes, the Freerider only comes in the 22 Litre size
The Freerider weighs 1380g (2330 w/avabag system), whereas the Ascent weighs 830g for the 22 Litre (1780g w/avabag system), or 1120g for the 30 Litre (2070g w/avabag system)
The Freerider is 29x55x19cm (W x L x H), whereas the Ascent 22 measures 27x53x17cm, and the Ascent 30 27x57x20cm
The Freerider comes with a slightly wider waist strap
Both come with snowboard and snow-shoe holders, helmet nets and ice axe and hiking pole loops