Weighing only 1780g (inc. system and cartridge), the Ortovox Ascent 22 AVABAG combines safety, efficiency and comfort in one design. Made with abrasion-resistant materials such as Nylon 100D Robic Ripstop, which are also extremely light, the Ascent 22 has been shorn of all non-essential components to ensure the sleekest possible design.
The Ortovox Ascent 22 avabag is the lightest pack from the Ortovox Avabag range, making it a comfortable, practical and efficient choice pack for mountaineers, off-piste skiing or any other remote alpine pursuit.
The Ortovox Ascent 22 avabag also guarantees a high level of comfort when worn, as the TUV certified foam 3D back system ensures the weight of the pack is evenly distributed between the padded shoulder straps and the broad hip fins.
Ortovox AVABAG Activation:
When wearing your Ortovox Ascent 22 avabag system you must make sure that all of your straps are securely fastened and the Activation handle is adjusted to the correct height.
1. Correctly Installing the Avabag system: Ensure that the AVABAG system has been installed correctly. The activation cable with the silver ball must be able to pass through the feed channel with no restrictions and the AVABAG balloon must be correctly folded.
2. Correctly Mounting the Activation Handle: The Silver ball on the activation cable must be easily visible in one of the two settings, so L or S. The position slider must be firmly attached to the activation handle. The Guide bar on the activation handle must be inserted into the feed channel for the appropriate setting.
Short Grip Length (S)
Long Grip Length (L)
3. Checking the Activation Mechanism: Insert the unthreaded side (smooth surface) of the AVABAG re-arming tool without force into the cartridge bushing if you can insert the re-arming tool right up to the stop. The AVABAG system is armed and ready to activate. if the re-arming tool cannot be completely inserted, you must re-arm the system.
4. Correctly Attaching the Avabag Cartridge: Screw the AVABAG cartridge into the cartridge bushing right up to the stop so that the sealing ring can no longer be seen on the AVABAG cartridge, Fasten the backpack orange cartridge clip to keep in place.
5. How To Wear The Backpack Correctly: Fasten the leg safety. to do this, thread the hip strap through the coloured loop on the leg safety strap. Fasten both buckles on the hip and chest straps one after the other and ensure that they are properly locked into place.
6. Activating The AVABAG Avalanche Unit: In the case of an avalanche, pull abruptly and as firmly as possible on the activation handle to activate the avabag avalanche airbag and inflate the avabag balloon!
Please see the video of Inflation and Deflation on the right-hand side.
Ortovox Avabag Unit:
Thanks to the innovative processing system which requires no sewing or additional sealing, and a drastically reduced venturi unit, the Ortovox Avabag is one of the lightest airbag systems in the world. Weighing only 690g, the system combines an incredible lightweight stripped-down design with the highest levels of reliability.
To determine your back length, use a tape measure to measure yourself from the top of your hip bone to the very top of your back just before the neck. Use the size guide image in the image gallery to calculate your size.
Safety compartment: Access to the compartment is marked with the red zipper pullers. The probe and shaft receiver are marked with icons. Place the shovel blade with the sharp edge up.
D-Skifix: A fast and safe diagonal ski fastener that offers plenty of wear comfort.
Snowboard and Snowshoe attachment: Connect the lower straps with the metal nose and the small lop above the icon compartment. The upper part can be found in the compartment above the left shoulder strap. Disconnect the metal half-moon hook and feed it through the loop by the right shoulder strap. Fit the board / Snowshoes and close the buckle.
Chest strap with a signal whistle: Quickly draw attention in emergency situations.
Emergency Card: Quick access to emergency details if stuck in an avalanche situation.
Helmet net: Fixed in a zipped compartment, optimized fastening.
Water-resistant zipper: Repelling moisture for secure and dry contents.
Hydration system compatible: Push drink bladder into the slot on the carry system interior and secure with strap and flat-front buckle. Lead the tube through the outlet by the right shoulder strap and fix it with the rubber band.
Bright inside: Light Colours inside make it easier to find your avalanche safety equipment.
Inflated avabag access to the main compartment: frontal 2-way zipper
Snowboard and snowshoe attachment: optimized, complete transport aid.
Rope Fixation: Use the fixation strap and fit two half-moon hooks through the loops on the upper side of the pack. Open the buckle, catch the plastic loop above the middle compartment, close the buckle again and tighten the strap.
Illustration of alpine emergency signals: Print (inside) shows you signals for emergencies.
Ice Axe and Hiking pole loops: Place the pick of the Axe or Hiking pole into the icon compartment and fix it by closing the straps. Then attach the shaft by using the elastic cords, hidden in the two small compartments near the foremost zipper.
Safety Leg Strap: for the highest possible safety in the event of an avalanche.
Ortovox Ascent 22 Avabag Tech Spec:
Usable volume with integrated AVABAG unit: 22 litres
Weight Backpack: 950 g
Weight Backpack (inc AVABAG unit + Cartridge : 1950 g
Weight AVABAG Unit: 690 g
Weight Activation Unit Carbon: 310 g
Back Length: Regular (42 - 50 cm)
W x L x H (Width x Length x Height): 27 x 53 x 17 cm