The Ortovox Free Rider 20 S AVABAG is the slightly smaller version of the popular Free Rider 22 AVABAG, This pack has been shortened to suit those with a smaller frame. The redesigned pack has modified hip and shoulder straps making it more accommodating for the female figure.
Built for solely Free Riding in mind this is the perfect pack for snowboarders or skiers who are very weight conscious, Weighing only 2410 g (Incl. Avabag unit + cartridge) the Ortovox Free Rider 20 S avabag ensures total freedom of movement when in the backcountry, this pack offers hard-wearing materials and a number of different storage compartments to store your necessary avalanche equipment.
The neoprene hip belt offers a close-fitting frame meaning this pack will not move around when swaying side to side off-piste. In the case of a high impact avalanche situation, the leg straps will keep this pack mounted to your back.
New to the designs there is access to the backpack's main compartment through the back as well as the front, meaning wearers will always be able to easily access the bag's contents, wherever they are.
This backpack is built to incorporate a TÜV certified back protector system into its design, to reduce extra bulk and keep the wearer protected, whatever speed they are travelling at. This system comprises of five superimposed layers of foam which harden on impact to absorb the force of a fall or collision. For the Ortovox Free Rider 20 S avabag, the back system has been shortened for those with a smaller frame, ensuring maximum comfort and a fantastically close fit.
Ortovox AVABAG Activation:
When wearing your Ortovox Free Rider 20 S avabag system you must make sure that all of your straps are securely fastened and the Activation handle is adjusted to the correct height.
1. Correctly Installing the Avabag system: Ensure that the AVABAG system has been installed correctly. The activation cable with the silver ball must be able to pass through the feed channel with no restrictions and the AVABAG balloon must be correctly folded.
2. Correctly Mounting the Activation Handle: The Silver ball on the activation cable must be easily visible in one of the two settings, so L or S. The position slider must be firmly attached to the activation handle. The Guide bar on the activation handle must be inserted into the feed channel for the appropriate setting.
Short Grip Length (S)
Long Grip Length (L)
3. Checking the Activation Mechanism: Insert the unthreaded side (smooth surface) of the AVABAG re-arming tool without force into the cartridge bushing if you can insert the re-arming tool right up to the stop. The AVABAG system is armed and ready to activate. if the re-arming tool cannot be completely inserted, you must re-arm the system.
4. Correctly Attaching the Avabag Cartridge: Screw the AVABAG cartridge into the cartridge bushing right up to the stop so that the sealing ring can no longer be seen on the AVABAG cartridge, Fasten the backpack orange cartridge clip to keep in place.
5. How To Wear The Backpack Correctly: Fasten the leg safety. to do this, thread the hip strap through the coloured loop on the leg safety strap. Fasten both buckles on the hip and chest straps one after the other and ensure that they are properly locked into place.
6. Activating The AVABAG Avalanche Unit: In the case of an avalanche, pull abruptly and as firmly as possible on the activation handle to activate the avabag avalanche airbag and inflate the avabag balloon!
Ortovox AVABAG Unit:
Thanks to the innovative processing system which requires no sewing or additional sealing, and a drastically reduced venturi unit, the Ortovox Avabag is one of the lightest airbag systems in the world. Weighing only 690g, the system combines an incredible lightweight stripped-down design with the highest levels of reliability.
To determine your back length, use a tape measure to measure yourself from the top of your hip bone to the very top of your back just before the neck. Use the size guide image in the image gallery to calculate your size.
Back Length: Short (36 - 44 cm)
Ortovox Free Rider 20 S Avabag Features:
Safety compartment: Access to the compartment is marked with the red zipper pullers. Probe and shaft receiver are marked with icons. Place the shovel blade with the sharp edge up.
Chest strap with a signal whistle: Quickly draw attention in emergency situations.
Water-resistant zipper: Repelling moisture for secure and dry contents.
Hydration system compatible: Push drink bladder into the slot on the carry system interior and secure with strap and flat-front buckle. Lead the tube through the outlet by the right shoulder strap and fix it with the rubber band.
Bright inside: Light Colours inside make it easier to find your avalanche safety equipment.
SPS Flex Back Protector: TUV-Certified protector made from visco-elastic foam that adapts to the body and remains flexible even in the cold
Ice Axe Attachment: Place the pick of the axe into the icon compartment and fix it by closing the straps. Then attach the shaft by using the elastic cords, hidden in the two small compartments near the foremost zipper.
D-Skifix: A fast and safe diagonal ski fastener that offers plenty of wear comfort.
Snowboard and Snowshoe attachment: Connect the lower straps with the metal nose and the small lop above the icon compartment. The upper part can be found in the compartment above the left shoulder strap. Disconnect the metal half-moon hook and feed it through the loop by the right shoulder strap. Fit the board / Snowshoes and close the buckle.
Access to main compartment (Front): Quick access to emergency equipment / Accessories through the Front.
Illustration of Alpine Emergency Signals: Print (inside) shows you signals for emergencies.
Wide Hip Belt: Wide and elasticated, for an optimal body-hugging fit, even when in motion.
Helmet Net: Fixed in a zipped compartment, optimized fastening.
Separate Safety Compartment : Quick access to emergency equipment.
Material: Nylon D ball shadow
Release Grip: Height adjustable.
Locking Clasp: Provides the highest possible safety and ease of use.
Safety Leg Strap: for the highest possible safety in the event of an avalanche.
Emergency Card: Quick access to emergency details if stuck in an avalanche situation.
Ortovox Free Rider 20 S Avabag Tech Spec:
Usable volume with integrated AVABAG unit: 20 litres
Weight Backpack: 1410 g
Weight Backpack (inc AVABAG unit + Cartridge: 2410 g
Weight AVABAG Unit: 690 g
Weight Activation Unit Carbon: 310 g
Back Length: Short (36 - 44 cm)
W x L x H (Width x Length x Height): 29 x 52 x 18 cm